Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A synthetic drug related to quinoline, used against malaria.
- ‘Doctors treat malaria by using anti-malarial drugs, such as chloroquine or quinine.’
- ‘Quinine formed the basis for synthesising the commonly used antimalarial drugs, chloroquine and mefloquine.’
- ‘The situation is becoming more difficult because the most widely used antimalarial drug chloroquine is losing its effectiveness.’
- ‘The cheapest antimalarial drug, chloroquine, is rapidly losing its effectiveness in almost all countries where malaria is endemic.’
- ‘On the other side of the equation, one of the biggest reasons for the increasing incidence of malaria has been the growing resistance of the malaria parasite to the main anti-malarial drug, chloroquine.’
1940s from chloro- + quin(olin)e.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips