Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1derogatory (in some parts of Latin America) a woman of indigenous or partly indigenous ancestry.
- ‘Chicheras were better off economically than most cholas and certainly than Indians, and their cultural connection to chicha gave them social advantages within the chola community.’
- ‘Their move into the city could mean a move from an identity as an Indian to an identity as a chola, if they so chose.’
- ‘Her most offensive transgression against the community, however, is her decision to date a non-cholo man, a decision that infuriates both her parents and the other cholas.’
- ‘The fact that even the cholas punish La Cristina for her disrespect demonstrates the level to which the women have assimilated their community's patriarchal values.’
- ‘In La Cristina's case, the other cholas persecute and ostracize her out of jealousy and an inability to imagine a more inclusive notion of chola identity.’
- 1.1US informal A young woman belonging to a Mexican American urban subculture associated with street gangs.
Mid 19th century American Spanish (see cholo).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips