Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A freshwater whitefish of northern countries, most species of which are important food fishes.
Genus Coregonus, family Salmonidae: several species
- ‘They prey on such fish as the cisco (lake herring), lake whitefish, central mudminnow, and golden shiner.’
- ‘Overfishing of other species of ciscoes has reduced populations, and shifted more pressure to Coregonus hoyi.’
- ‘Coregonine fishes in New York, both whitefish and cisco, have been extensively introduced into waters outside of their natural ranges, such as lakes in the Adirondack Mountains.’
- ‘Only a handful of endangered species, such as the Tecopa pupfish, the longjaw cisco, and the dusky seaside sparrow, have ever been taken off the list because they went extinct.’
- ‘Other Great Lakes species that have been lost are the deepwater cisco in the 1950's, the blackfin cisco in the 1960s, and the longjaw cisco in the 1970's.’
Mid 19th century of unknown origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips