A fly that often enters buildings in large numbers during the autumn while looking for a place to overwinter.
Pollenia rudis (family Calliphoridae), whose larvae parasitize earthworms, and the smaller Thaumatomyia notata (family Chloropidae)‘Bluebottles and cluster flies are disgusting little creatures, feeding off rotting food and excrement.’
- ‘Face flies and two or three species of cluster flies are often found in large clusters in the same overwintering site.’
- ‘Of course, spring is a good time to find earthworms, so the cluster fly is active during this season.’
- ‘An adult cluster fly is 8 mm long and its dark grey non-metallic body is covered with short golden hairs.’
- ‘If cluster flies can be denied access to a building, they will not be a nuisance or require control.’
- ‘The use of a vacuum cleaner is a quick and effective means of reducing a cluster fly population in the home.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips