1come across someone or somethingMeet or find someone or something by chance.‘I came across these old photos recently’
reach, arrive at, meet, get to, get up to, get as far as, make, make it to, set foot on, gain, attainfind by chance, meet by chance, meet up with, run into, run across, come upon, chance on, stumble on, happen on, light on, hit onView synonyms
- ‘during one of his trips he came across an old friend’
2(of a person) appear or sound in a specified way; give a specified impression.
seem, appear, look, sound, give the impression of being, have the air of being, have the appearance of being, strike someone as, look as though one is, look to beView synonyms
- ‘he'd always come across as a decent guy’
- 2.1(of a quality) become apparent or noticeable through actions or performance.
be communicated, be perceived, penetrate, get through, get across, be got across, be clear, be understood, be comprehended, register, be taken in, sink in, be grasped, strike homeView synonyms
- ‘the material on the album might come across better live’
3informal Hand over or provide what is wanted.
hand over, give, deliver, produce, part with, pay upView synonyms
- ‘she has come across with some details’
- 3.1Agree to have sex with someone.
- ‘she wouldn't come across for him’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips