A large yellow dessert pear of a late-fruiting variety that is cultivated commercially.
- ‘The Comice is a purely dessert pear - in season from late autumn to midwinter.’
- ‘4 large just ripe (but not too soft) pears - eg, Williams, Comice or Conference’
- ‘The Anjou (October to June), the Comice (September to March), and the tiny Forelle (September to February) are better appreciated fresh.’
- ‘France is the home of the best pear variety, the Comice.’
- ‘Comice is considered by some to be the best dessert pear.’
Mid 19th century from French, literally ‘association, cooperative’, referring to the Comice Horticole of Angers, France, where this variety was developed.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips