1A girl or woman in relation to either or both of her parents.female child, girlView synonyms
- 1.1A female offspring of an animal.child, baby, infant, son, daughter, youngster, little one, tot, tiny totView synonyms
- 1.2A female descendant.
- ‘we are the sons and daughters of Adam’
- 1.3A woman considered in relation to her native country or area.
- ‘the tennis champ was one of California's most famous daughters’
- 1.4A woman considered as the product of a particular person, influence, or environment.
- ‘a daughter of the dry savannas of Africa’
- 1.5archaic Used as a term of affectionate address to a woman or girl, typically by an older person.
- 1.6literary A thing personified as a daughter in relation to its origin or source.
- ‘Italian, the eldest daughter of ancient Latin’
- 1.1A female offspring of an animal.
A nuclide formed by the radioactive decay of another.
- ‘as radon gas decays it produces daughters that attach themselves to dust particles’
Originating through division or replication.
- ‘daughter cells’
Old English dohtor, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch dochter and German Tochter, from an Indo-European root shared by Greek thugatēr.