Basic Guidelines For Spanish PronunciationsREAD THIS ARTICLE
The action or process of swallowing.‘the muscles involved in deglutition’count noun ‘oesophageal pressure peaks induced by a single deglutition’
- ‘The process of deglutition begins with the bolus formation in the oral cavity.’
- ‘These are inhibitory reflexes, excited by deglutition, by gastric distension, and by intestinal dilatation.’
- ‘Organic abnormalities of deglutition may be related to initiation of the swallowing reflex in the oropharynx or to propulsion of the food bolus through the esophagus.’
- ‘Other factors include general anesthesia, loss of consciousness, structural abnormalities of the pharynx and neuromuscular disorders, deglutition abnormalities.’
- ‘The act of deglutition will not be accompanied with pain or soreness, but extreme anxiety and violent palpitations of the heart.’
Mid 17th century from French déglutition or modern Latin deglutitio(n-), from deglutire ‘swallow down’.