plural nountreated as singular
A system developed by the founder of the Church of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, which aims to relieve psychosomatic disorder by cleansing the mind of harmful mental images.
- ‘L. Ron Hubbard, author of Dianetics and the founder of Scientology, introduced his own version of reincarnation into his new religion.’
- ‘A keynote in Mr Hubbard's philosophy is that nothing in Scientology and Dianetics is true unless it is true for you.’
- ‘This is what the Church of Scientology offers its practitioners, the proposition being that we can, through the techniques of Dianetics and pursuing the truths revealed by L. Ron Hubbard, reach such a state.’
- ‘In the case of science-fiction writer Hubbard, that transformation culminated in a book called Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health.’
- ‘Hubbard, on the other hand, saved up his deepest insights for his latter-day nonfiction works, such as his breakthrough 1951 self-help manual, Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health.’
1950s from Greek dianoētikos ‘relating to thought’ + -ics.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips