Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The ripening of the stamens and pistils of a flower at different times, so that self-fertilization is prevented.
- ‘However, the form of dichogamy (protogyny and protandry) is likely to have different consequences for autogamy versus geitonogamy.’
- ‘Flowering plants have several mechanisms that have evolved to prevent self-fertilization, e.g. self-incompatibility systems, heterostyly and dichogamy.’
- ‘However, if flowering is asynchronous and the behaviour of individual pollinators does not follow a regular pattern within a plant, dichogamy might have little effect on reducing geitonogamy.’
- ‘Although dichogamy is considered an important factor influencing gender expression, its roles in promoting the evolution of gender specialization are still poorly understood.’
- ‘This suggests that weak dichogamy occurs in this species unless stigma maturation is delayed by the retention of self-pollen.’
Mid 19th century from Greek dikho- ‘apart, in two’ + gamos ‘marriage’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips