Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The ring within which sumo wrestling takes place.
- ‘Granted sumo has a circular dohyo, but I felt that the linear abstraction still worked.’
- ‘Although women wrestle as amateurs, they are still not permitted even to touch the dohyo - the clay ring - that the professional men use.’
- ‘As anyone who has seen sumo on TV knows, the dohyo is a square with the circular ring inside.’
- ‘As the announcer makes the introduction, the rikishi climbs onto the dohyo and walks along its outer perimeter.’
- ‘At the conclusion of a bout, both men climb back onto the dohyo and stand on their side of the ring.’
Japanese, abbreviation of dohyōba ‘wrestling arena’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips