Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A small gazelle found on semi-desert plains in North Africa and western Asia.
Gazella dorcas, family Bovidae
- ‘While information on dorcas gazelles is limited, they are important to the habitats where they live.’
- ‘The natural predators of dorcas gazelles include cheetahs, which have largely been eliminated throughout the gazelle's range.’
- ‘Numbers of dorcas gazelle and aoudad may have increased since the creation of the reserve, but dama gazelle is declining due to continued military poaching and tourist disturbance.’
- ‘By midcentury, only 400 dorcas gazelles remained of the herds that had once covered the plains of the Negev.’
- ‘One of the most desert-adapted gazelles, dorcas gazelles may go their entire lives without drinking any water, obtaining all needed moisture from the plants they eat.’
Early 19th century from modern Latin Gazella dorcas (from Greek dorkas ‘gazelle’).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips