Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
An additional block of stone placed above an abacus in the columns of a Byzantine or Romanesque arcade.
- ‘The naves are divided by columns topped with dosserets and decorated with bas-reliefs.’
- ‘The interior is divided into nave and aisles by Corinthian columns with high dosserets that rise to pointed arches.’
- ‘On the north, the lowest of these marks is an X on the fourth course of the west dosseret of north wall of the aisle.’
- ‘They are remarkable for the dosserets carved in bas-relief from various artists.’
- ‘Norman influence is evident in the blind pointed arches supported by dosserets and slim columns and the horizontal and arched mouldings, which are reminiscent of buildings in Palermo erected during the monarchy.’
Mid 19th century from French, diminutive of dossier ‘back’ (denoting a supporting structure).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips