A severe form of muscular dystrophy caused by a genetic defect and usually affecting boys.
- ‘The work is promising for possible treatments of diseases such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy, but the authors say a lot of work is needed to improve the efficiency of the muscle generating process.’
- ‘Scientists here will study gene and stem cell therapies to treat muscle disease, in particular Duchenne muscular dystrophy.’
- ‘In cases of Duchenne muscular dystrophy, symptoms usually begin to appear around age 5, as the pelvic muscles begin to weaken.’
- ‘The American Thoracic Society published a paper on the respiratory care of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and recent advances in treatment.’
- ‘In Duchenne muscular dystrophy, attempts at cell therapy, using muscle stem cell preparations, have been largely disappointing.’
Late 19th century named after G. B. A. Duchenne (1806–75), the French neurologist who first described it.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips