Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The chemical element of atomic number 66, a soft silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series.
- ‘Each segment contains small amounts of ions of relatively rare metals, such as dysprosium, thulium, and cerium, which fluoresce in different colors.’
- ‘The relative difficulty in identifying certain elements has given birth to such names as lanthanum, krypton and dysprosium.’
- ‘This overview on my blog tells you more about this ‘magic’ metal, the Terfenol, which is a combination of terbium and dysprosium.’
- ‘With this, we can produce energetic dysprosium, atomic mass 162.5, heavy enough for nuclear reactions.’
- ‘Ytterite was eventually to yield eight other new elements in addition to dysprosium.’
Late 19th century from Greek dusprositos ‘hard to get at’ + -ium.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips