Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A steroid hormone that controls moulting in insects and other arthropods.
- ‘This checkpoint may be controlled by signaling through the steroid hormone ecdysone.’
- ‘Larval molting in Drosophila, as in other insects, is initiated by the coordinated release of the steroid hormone ecdysone, in response to neural signals, at precise stages during development.’
- ‘A pulse of the steroid hormone ecdysone at the onset of metamorphosis triggers the rapid transformation of a flat leg imaginal disc into an immature adult leg, largely through coordinated changes in cell shape.’
- ‘Consequently, both the onset and the termination of disc growth are determined by the joint action of ecdysone and juvenile hormone.’
- ‘Two hormones in particular drive these fundamental processes: ecdysone and juvenile hormone.’
1950s from Greek ekdusis ‘shedding’ + -one.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips