Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A title of the Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople.
- ‘The Ecumenical Patriarch (of Constantinople) holds a position of special honor but does not have the right to interfere in the internal affairs of other churches.’
- ‘Rome's refusal to acknowledge the bishop of Constantinople as Ecumenical Patriarch, the subservience of popes to emperors, even the use of unleavened bread in the Eucharist and the discipline of clergy figured more prominently.’
- ‘Now, over 500 years later, the Ecumenical Patriarch of the whole Greek Church continues to be based in Istanbul.’
- ‘Never mind that their own spiritual leader, Bartholomeus, Ecumenical Patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church, had chided them for opposing the Pope's pilgrimage.’
- ‘The Ecumenical Patriarch generously prepared this article as a special blessing for this issue.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips