1A vigorous or determined attempt.
attempt, try, endeavourView synonyms
- ‘ in an effort to save money, I have committed to only buying items that I truly need’
- 1.1The result of an attempt.
achievement, accomplishment, performance, attainment, result, feat, deed, exploit, undertaking, enterpriseView synonyms
- ‘he was a keen gardener, winning many prizes for his efforts’
- 1.2Strenuous physical or mental exertion.
exertion, force, power, energy, work, muscle, application, labour, the sweat of one's brow, striving, endeavour, toil, struggle, slog, strain, stress, trouble, botherView synonyms
- ‘achieving independence requires some effort and self-discipline’
- 1.3with modifier The activities of a group of people with a common purpose.
- ‘the war effort’
2 technical A force exerted by a machine or in a process.
- make an effort
Attempt to do something.
- ‘make an effort to do some kind of abdominal exercise’
Try everything possible to achieve something.
- ‘we will continue to make every effort to attract and retain staff’
With physical difficulty.
- ‘“It's bad, sir,” he said, controlling his voice with effort’
Late 15th century from French, from Old French esforcier, based on Latin ex- ‘out’ + fortis ‘strong’.