Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1Melon seeds of a type that is ground for use in West African cooking.
- ‘add the ground egusi to the stock and stir’
- 1.1A thick West African soup made with ground melon seeds, typically also containing leaf vegetables and meat or fish.‘I still think my dad made the best egusi’
- ‘his favorite meals are egusi soup and pounded yam’
- 1.2A type of watermelon grown especially for its seeds.
- ‘egusi are easy to grow in Nigeria’s warm, arid climate’
From a West African language (compare e.g. Yoruba ẹgusi, Igbo egwusi).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips