A northern sea duck, of which the male is mainly black-and-white with a coloured head, and the female brown.
Genus Somateria (and Polysticta), family Anatidae: four species
- ‘Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.’
- ‘Both of these types are plentiful on the Cape, as are sea ducks, such as scoters and eiders, viewable from many vantage points.’
- ‘They frequently nest in colonies, often in association with eiders.’
- ‘Terns and eiders had been disturbed, while eiders had been doubly hit because the pickers were depleting the mussel beds on which they feed.’
- ‘Primary predators for these eiders were large gulls, and occasionally evidence of mammalian predation was found.’
Late 17th century from Icelandic æthur, from Old Norse æthr.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips