Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A chandelier in which the lights are electrical.
- ‘For some of her larger lamps and electroliers, she used the striated and textured surfaces of shells to give a decorative three-dimensional effect to a shade.’
- ‘The catalogue offered more than thirty models of lamps, sconces, and electroliers, and she held several examples of most models in her inventory.’
- ‘The interior, which is reflected across the adjacent bandstand as it grows dark, is all scumbling and dragging and poison-blue electroliers.’
- ‘City policy is to install electroliers with underground wiring, that meets our standards for lighting level and uniformity.’
- ‘Each electrolier is linked to a corner of the lobby skylight by a narrow rootlike strip of ornament.’
Late 19th century from electro-, on the pattern of chandelier.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips