Any of a group of hormones secreted within the brain and nervous system and having a number of physiological functions. They are peptides which activate the body's opiate receptors, causing an analgesic effect.
- ‘Doing so will help your body produce endorphins, feel-good brain chemicals that can counter feelings of stress.’
- ‘Physical activity is known to influence the physiological production of endorphins in the brain that also elevate mood.’
- ‘It is well established that exercise improves mood, thanks to the powerful effect of chemical endorphins on the brain.’
- ‘Exercise, too, can give you a real high and has been shown to have a profound effect on people who are depressed, possibly by releasing endorphins in the brain.’
- ‘This procedure is said to release detoxification by causing the release of endorphins, the body's pain killers.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips