Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The political union of Cyprus and Greece, as an aim or ideal of certain Greeks and Cypriots.
union, merger, fusion, fusing, amalgamation, integration, coalition, junction, combination, consolidation, confederation, federation
- ‘Cyprus's Greek community has long desired enosis, political union of Cyprus with Greece, for a long time.’
- ‘Turkish troops seized the northern part of Cyprus in 1974 in response to an Athens-engineered military coup aimed at enosis.’
- ‘Nearly 80 percent of the population, who were ethnically Greek, wanted enosis.’
- ‘The aim was to force enosis with Greece, but Makarios survived and led Cypriot resistance to the coup.’
- ‘Greek Cypriots hoped the British would help them achieve their long-cherished aim of enosis with the Greek mainland.’
- ‘The Turks invaded, in 1974, just as the island was edging towards reunion or enosis with Greece.’
1920s from modern Greek henōsis, from hena ‘one’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips