Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Relating to or denoting the circulation of bile salts and other secretions from the liver to the intestine, where they are reabsorbed into the blood and returned to the liver.
- ‘Bile salts are retrieved from the gut by the terminal ileum, and this enterohepatic circulation is essential for maintenance of the bile salt pool.’
- ‘A portion of conjugated and unconjugated steroids also passes into bile, some of which may be reabsorbed via enterohepatic circulation.’
- ‘One proposed mechanism is interruption of the enterohepatic circulation of estrogen as a result of reduced bacterial hydrolysis in the gastrointestinal tract.’
- ‘The rest either undergoes enterohepatic recycling or demethylation by microflora in the intestine and immune system and eventual elimination through the feces.’
- ‘Patients with delayed gastrointestinal transit time may be more susceptible to these side effects, due to enterohepatic cycling and reabsorption of licorice metabolites.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips