A crystalline alkaloid drug obtained from some ephedras. It causes constriction of the blood vessels and widening of the bronchial passages, and is used to relieve asthma and hay fever.
Chemical formula: C₁₀H₁₅NO
- ‘He studied the tissue distribution and metabolism of caffeine, amphetamines, ephedrine, and narcotic drugs.’
- ‘A 43 year old general practitioner had had juvenile asthma requiring regular ephedrine.’
- ‘If the medicines aspirin, ephedrine, and morphine were once botanicals, how did they get to be tested and marketed as drugs?’
- ‘In the 1960s, drug therapy was limited to potassium iodide and ephedrine.’
- ‘Substances like phentermine and other drugs, such as ephedrine, are hidden in many supplements that the players don't know about.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips