Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The part of the upper abdomen immediately over the stomach.
- ‘The pain of acute cholecystitis typically lasts longer than three hours and, after three hours, shifts from the epigastrium to the right upper quadrant.’
- ‘A large mass was palpable in the epigastrium and right upper quadrant.’
- ‘The pain starts suddenly in the epigastrium or right upper quadrant and may radiate round to the back in the interscapular region.’
- ‘When the primary site is in the epigastrium the source usually is the pancreas, stomach, duodenum, or liver.’
- ‘It is often accompanied by distension and fullness of the epigastrium and abdomen, acid regurgitation, and a thick and sticky tongue coating.’
Late 17th century via late Latin from Greek epigastrion, neuter of epigastrios ‘over the belly’, from epi ‘upon’ + gastēr ‘belly’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips