Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A plant of the genus Erica (family Ericaceae ), especially (in gardening) heather.
- ‘The Cape area has the responsibility of caring for the endemic fynbos species, with the illegal harvesting of proteas and ericas to supply the cut flower market being a major concern.’
- ‘Heathers include pale pink erica canaliculata and the luminous yellow ericanana.’
- ‘You seldom see heather indoors, but right now in my living room a specimen of the stately erica hyemalis with its bottle-brush spikes of lilac-pink flowers looks handsome in a terracotta pot.’
- ‘Fuchsia and erica gardens provide colour near the Wonderland Statue.’
- ‘However, well-drained soil will help prevent root rot, or erica wilt.’
Modern Latin, from Greek ereikē.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips