Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A solid compound present in mustard and rape seeds.
An unsaturated fatty acid: chemical formula: C₂₁H₄₁COOH
- ‘The original rapeseed oil, used as both a lubricant and an edible oil, was harmful when ingested because of high levels of a chemical called erucic acid.’
- ‘The seed oil has a much reduced content of erucic acid, which is a long-chain fatty acid that is toxic to humans.’
- ‘For both identified QTL, the results showed that the alleles associated with high erucic acid levels are derived from the Sollux parent.’
- ‘There had been a problem which discouraged its use; it was high in erucic acid and glucosinolates, which have anti-nutritional properties.’
- ‘Canola has been the subject of both kinds of modification, first to lower erucic acid levels and then to increase pesticide resistance.’
Mid 19th century erucic from Latin eruca ‘rocket’ (denoting the plant) + -ic.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips