Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A small writing desk with drawers and compartments.
table, work surface, bureau, writing desk, writing table, roll-top desk, lectern
- ‘A profusion of lamps and candles relieved the gloom, bathing in a pink glow sofas, settees, armchairs, side tables, escritoires, and curios the pair had collected.’
- ‘A larger escritoire commissioned by Herbert George Yatman, and widely known as ‘The Yatman Cabinet’, was given (with its side cabinets) by his grandson to the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1961.’
- ‘My new room was huge; it had its own little sitting room and an escritoire of warm mahogany.’
- ‘Imagine the absurdity of having to abandon one's beloved Sheraton escritoire or four-poster bed.’
- ‘The following article has been transcribed faithfully from a manuscript found inside a rather damaged Portuguese camphor-wood escritoire which was left to Chris among Dorian's effects.’
Late 16th century from French, from medieval Latin scriptorium ‘writing room’ (see scriptorium).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips