Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1rare Castrate (a man or male animal).
neuter, geld, cut, emasculate, desex, sterilize, unman, remove the testicles of
- ‘At the age of eighteen he evirated himself, thus hoping to open the pathway to Christian perfection.’
- ‘Some philosophers and divines have evirated themselves, and put out their eyes voluntarily, the better to contemplate.’
- ‘The unmoved Bottai notes that one of the bodies shows 'an enormous, bloodied gash: they have evirated him'.’
- ‘In breeding, some evirate the foal while sucking.’
- 1.1Deprive (a man) of his male role or identity; emasculate.‘Their minds are debased and evirated by effeminacy, lasciviousness, and fondness for loose pleasures.’‘He did not know that a man's character dwindles into pusillanimity and cowardice, when, he is evirated by an operation totally different.’
Early 17th century from Latin evirat-, from the verb evirare (from e-, expressing a change of state, + vir ‘man’): see -ate.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips