1(of a species, family, or other group of animals or plants) having no living members; no longer in existence.‘trilobites and dinosaurs are extinct’
vanished, lost, died out, dead, defunct, no longer existing, no longer extant, wiped out, destroyed, exterminated, goneView synonyms
- ‘the red wolf became extinct in the wild in 1980’
- ‘we might one day resurrect extinct species’
- 1.1No longer in existence.‘an extinct language’
- ‘the sort of girls' school that is now extinct’
- 1.2(of a title of nobility) having no valid claimant.
- ‘the baronetcy became extinct’
2(of a volcano) not having erupted in recorded history.
inactive, old, former, no longer activeView synonyms
- ‘the islands are the remains of extinct volcanoes’
- 2.1No longer alight.
- ‘his now extinct pipe’
Late Middle English (in the sense ‘no longer alight’): from Latin exstinct- ‘extinguished’, from the verb exstinguere (see extinguish).