What Is The Origin Of "Sleep Tight"?
One of a class of lustful rural gods, represented as a man with a goat's horns, ears, legs, and tail.
- ‘‘He's fond of unicorns, centaurs, fauns, dragons of course, and humans,’ said Misty.’
- ‘It was in the shape of one of the fauns of long-forgotten legend.’
- ‘A stag and several hinds thundered by, followed by fauns, rabbits and skunks.’
- ‘The faun was great, totally natural looking and seamless.’
- ‘The king's eyes narrowed suspiciously as he waited for the faun to answer.’
Late Middle English from the name of the pastoral god Faunus.