A substance that has no fixed shape and yields easily to external pressure; a gas or (especially) a liquid.‘we all need several glasses of fluid a day’
flowing substanceView synonyms
- ‘a cleaning fluid’
1(of a substance) able to flow easily.‘the paint is more fluid than tube watercolors’
- ‘a fluid medium’
- 1.1Not settled or stable; likely or able to change.‘our plans are still fluid’
- ‘the fluid political situation of the 1930s’
- 1.2Smoothly elegant or graceful.
- ‘her movements were fluid and beautiful to watch’
- 1.3(of a clutch or coupling) using a liquid to transmit power.
Late Middle English (as an adjective): from French fluide or Latin fluidus, from fluere ‘to flow’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips