transitive verbtransitive verb fortifies, transitive verb fortifying, transitive verb fortified[with object]
1Provide (a place) with defensive works as protection against attack.
build defences round, strengthen with defensive works, secure, protect, surroundstrengthen, reinforce, toughen, consolidate, bolster, shore up, brace, buttress, stiffen, support, hold upView synonyms
- ‘the enclave has been heavily fortified in recent years’
- 1.1Strengthen (someone) mentally or physically.
invigorate, strengthen, energize, enliven, liven up, animate, vitalize, rejuvenate, restore, revive, refreshView synonyms
- ‘the girl was fortified by her religious faith’
2Add spirits to (wine) to make port, sherry, or a similar drink.
add alcohol to, add spirits to, strengthenView synonyms
- ‘the wine is aged in oak barrels and fortified with French brandy’
- 2.1Increase the nutritional value of (food) by adding vitamins or minerals.
add minerals to, add vitamins to, boost, improveView synonyms
- ‘most commercial brands of almond milk are fortified with vitamins A, D, B2, B12, calcium, and zinc’
Late Middle English from French fortifier, from late Latin fortificare, from Latin fortis ‘strong’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips