Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1(also fungo fly)Baseball
A fly ball hit for practice.
- ‘If that is working on your hitting, than Pedroia taking fungoes before the game is working on your fielding.’
- ‘What if instead of the traditional coach hitting fungos to the outfield a new device is created that helps a fielder increase the area they cover in the field?’
- ‘A writer in Scientific American in 1915 advised players not to hit fungo flies during pregame practice because it would lead to hitting flies during the game.’
- ‘It was partly because Jones took a half an hour of extra work in the morning, chasing fungo fly balls hit to the wall by outfield coach Mike Goff.’
- ‘My father loved to hit fungo flies to kids.’
- ‘During practice the team took a plethora of fungoes and got plenty of hacks, which prepared them for their three scrimmages.’
- ‘When it was my turn to hit fungoes, I managed to injure myself and I still am not sure how.’
- ‘Batters standing in regular baseball playing field batters’ boxes put baseballs in play by hitting fungoes, preferably using fungo style bats.’
- ‘Usually 2 outfielders will take fungo fly balls while the others play the batted balls.’
- 1.1A long lightweight bat for hitting practice balls to fielders.
- ‘Our infield and outfield fungoes are turned from solid, high quality, northern white ash.’
- ‘Available in four colors, our fungo bat is specifically designed to hit a tossed ball for practice and pre-game drills.’
- ‘All fungo bats are available in any color and style.’
- ‘We have everything from the fungo bats you need to work with the fielders to the short bats for one hand drills and an durable maple bat for BP.’
Mid 19th century of unknown origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips