Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The branch of mathematics dealing with the shape and area of the earth or large portions of it.
- ‘He set up a new curriculum for applied mathematics at the university which spread over six semesters and included applications of mathematics to astronomy, geodesy and technology.’
- ‘In the field of geodesy, however, Eratosthenes will always be remembered for his measurements of the Earth.’
- ‘He proposed the method of triangulation and this work is the foundation of geodesy.’
- ‘While Laplace and Gauss contributed to the physical sciences such as astronomy and geodesy, Fisher used his mathematical gifts to till the fertile ground of biology.’
- ‘Even the most imaginative pioneers did not foresee the real impact of GPS on many fields of professional life, in particular my field, geodesy and surveying.’
Late 16th century from modern Latin geodaesia, from Greek geōdaisia, from gē ‘earth’ + daiein ‘divide’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips