1A simple sugar which is an important energy source in living organisms and is a component of many carbohydrates.
A hexose; chemical formula: C₆H₁₂O₆
- ‘Yeasts also contain a natural enzyme which will convert sucrose to its component glucose and fructose.’
- ‘The procedure is based on the cleavage of sucrose by invertase to glucose and fructose.’
- ‘Epidermal cells contained low concentrations of sucrose, glucose and fructose, and no fructan.’
- ‘This effect seems to be restricted to sucrose; glucose and fructose do not produce the same result.’
- ‘Fructose and glucose dominated the sugar profile of leaves, sucrose was present at lower concentrations.’
- 1.1A syrup containing glucose and other sugars, made by hydrolysis of starch and used in the food industry.‘Mix the icing sugar, water and glucose together and bring to the boil.’
Mid 19th century from French, from Greek gleukos ‘sweet wine’, related to glukus ‘sweet’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips