Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A monitor lizard.
- ‘A long time ago, probably before the arrival of man, Queensland's Darling Downs was home to some big animals - two tonne wombats, giant kangaroos, goannas as long as buses and marsupial lions.’
- ‘Often done in the ‘X-ray’ style, unique to Australia's Top End, they depict barramundi, turtles, goannas and wallabies.’
- ‘They are also prey, when smaller, to other animals such as feral pigs, goannas, turtles, barramundi, sea eagles and even other crocodiles.’
- ‘The sculptures contrast with the pressed earth brick and rusted iron used in the main structure, natural materials in keeping with the building's reference to the totemic animal of the area, the spiky-tailed goanna.’
- ‘One of these is a slimy reptile - the other is a goanna.’
Mid 18th century (denoting a type of iguana): alteration of iguana.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips