Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(in eastern Asia, especially India) a warehouse.
repository, cache, store, storage place, storeroom, storehouse, warehouse, depot
- ‘Those East End thoroughfares like East India Dock Road were full of commercial stores and warehouses and godowns.’
- ‘He said the Federation had initiated a number of steps for construction of godowns and providing warehousing facilities to meet the demand for storage space.’
- ‘The city's skyline was alight with fires rising from timber godowns and warehouses.’
- ‘The investment cost can be retrieved by selling the buildings and godowns once the project is completed.’
- ‘Random checks on departmental stores and godowns will bring the skeletons out of the cupboard.’
Late 16th century from Portuguese gudão, from Tamil kiṭaṅku, Malayalam kiṭaṅṅu, or Kannada gadaṅgu ‘store, warehouse’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips