A red protein responsible for transporting oxygen in the blood of vertebrates. Its molecule comprises four subunits, each containing an iron atom bound to a haem group.
- ‘The key, she believes, may be the iron content of the blood and muscle proteins hemoglobin and myoglobin.’
- ‘The main task of red blood cells is to transport oxygen bound to haemoglobin from the lungs to the tissues.’
- ‘The red blood cells carry red blood protein called haemoglobin.’
- ‘As a test protein we focused on hemoglobin, which has several advantages.’
- ‘Oxygen is carried in blood by hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells.’
Mid 19th century a contracted form of haematoglobulin, in the same sense.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips