Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Swiss.‘Luther had hoped that these two ‘weeds’ would be gradually rooted out by his successors, as indeed they were by ‘the French and Helvetian churches.’’‘That was probably the most exciting thing that has ever happened regarding the Helvetian nation since William Tell.’
A native of Switzerland.
- ‘Several of the Helvetians' cities on hills have been excavated.’
- ‘Roman civilisation was quickly adopted by the Helvetians when Switzerland was conquered by Julius Caesar.’
- ‘The struggle was fierce, for the Helvetians were fighting for all that they counted most dear.’
- ‘The Helvetians had to migrate to the south-west of France and had to cross through Roman territories.’
- ‘Roman commander Julius Cesar defeated the Helvetians in 58 B.C. and made Helvetia a Roman territory with fortified borders.’
From Latin Helvetia ‘Switzerland’ + -an.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips