Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The primary body cavity of most invertebrates, containing circulatory fluid.
- ‘Arthropods also have a hemocoel, an open body cavity in which blood flows and bathes the tissues and organs.’
- ‘The circulatory system includes a heart that pumps blood into an open body cavity or hemocoel.’
- ‘Other internal organs are suspended in a general hemocoel.’
- ‘The circulatory system is open and consists of a heart, arteries, and the open spaces of the hemocoel.’
- ‘These tumors are frequently found floating freely in the haemocoel.’
Late 19th century from hemo-‘of blood’ + Greek koilos ‘hollow, cavity’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips