Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Adherence to one particular god out of several, especially by a family, tribe, or other group.
- ‘Some Indologists labeled the Hinduism they encountered polytheistic; others even coined new terms, like henotheism, to describe this baffling array of spiritual traditions.’
- ‘Bottero's concise explanation of henotheism clarifies how a pantheon, with its bewildering myriad of gods, becomes personalised through personal preference for a single deity.’
- ‘Probably the initial development of henotheism is in the idea of a patron deity for a city or country.’
- ‘In other words, there is a monarchical structure in political life paralleled by henotheism in religion.’
- ‘Egyptian henotheism understood existence as the result of the activity of a single creator together with his company.’
Mid 19th century from Greek heis, henos ‘one’ + theos ‘god’ + -ism.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips