Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A petticoat expanded with hoops of flexible material.
- ‘She used a crinoline hoop petticoat she had purchased several years before for a prom and ordered a strapless, longline bra from a department store catalogue.’
- ‘Yards of fabric billowed gracefully and the dresses were supported by large hoop petticoats.’
- ‘Little girls today get given the most amazing princess dresses, ready-made and complete with hoop petticoats, tiaras and sparkly shoes.’
- ‘In England in the 1700's, hoop petticoats were popular with actresses.’
- ‘This new hoop petticoat had a tendency though to flip up when walking or sitting, exposing a woman's legs and undergarments.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips