The bone of the upper arm or forelimb, forming joints at the shoulder and the elbow.‘The rotator cuff is made up of a ring of muscles and ligaments that joins the head of the humerus to the shoulder joint.’
- ‘The elbow joint is formed by three bones; the humerus, radius, and ulna.’
- ‘The humerus is the largest bone of the upper extremity.’
- ‘The other concomitant injuries were bilateral serial rib fractures and fractures of both clavicles, scapula, humerus, and pelvis.’
- ‘Fractures of the humerus, scapula and clavicle usually result from a direct blow or a fall onto an outstretched hand.’
- 1.1Entomology A structure in an insect involving, or in the region of, the front basal corners of the wings or wing cases.
Late Middle English from Latin, ‘shoulder’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips