Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A thick paste or spread made from ground chickpeas and sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon, and garlic, made originally in the Middle East.
- ‘Spread hummus or black bean purée on whole-grain bread slices and sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips.’
- ‘There was a huge spread of food, pasta salad, hummus, vegetables, and a big plate of chocolate chip cookies.’
- ‘Make a turkey sandwich on nutritious whole-grain bread, or spread some peanut butter or hummus on a bagel.’
- ‘For lunch I might scoop up some hummus (half-fat, of course) with some wholegrain organic bread, but I'm trying to cut down on carbohydrates.’
- ‘This flatbread is wonderful with steak or chicken but can also be served as an appetizer with a brush of hummus or topped with salsa.’
From Arabic ḥummuṣ.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips