The enlargement of an organ or tissue from the increase in size of its cells.‘the hypertrophy of the muscle fibers’
- ‘Many risk factors for coronary artery disease also are predictors of hypertension, left ventricular hypertrophy, and diabetes mellitus.’
- ‘It leads to left ventricular hypertrophy and increased connective tissue content, both of which decrease cardiac compliance.’
- ‘Cardiac hypertrophy - the enlargement of the heart muscle cells - can be fatal.’
- ‘The antioxidative properties of statins also prevent the development of cardiac and smooth muscle cell hypertrophy.’
- ‘There may be evidence of cardiac ischemia, ventricular hypertrophy, or pericardial disease.’
Mid 19th century from hyper-‘beyond, exceeding’ + Greek -trophia ‘nourishment’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips