Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Deficiency of potassium in the bloodstream.
- ‘Underlying causes of atrial fibrillation should be treated, including infection, congestive heart failure, hypoxia, hypokalemia and pneumonia.’
- ‘We have found aldosterone antagonists especially helpful in patients with persistent hypokalemia despite potassium replacement.’
- ‘More potassium is given if hypokalemia is present.’
- ‘The patient also received six weeks of potassium supplementation for amphotericin-related hypokalemia.’
- ‘It has been used in combination with potassium-wasting diuretics to prevent hypokalemia.’
1940s from hypo-‘below’ + modern Latin kalium ‘potassium’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips