Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A word of more specific meaning than a general or superordinate term applicable to it. For example, spoon is a hyponym of cutlery.
- ‘As we saw in Chapter 7, we can appeal to entailment in order to define the relation between a superordinate term and its hyponyms.’
- ‘In many instances, there are abbreviations for the hyponym, but no abbreviation for the more general term.’
- ‘Abbreviation hyponyms that have a plural form ending with ‘s’ can all be put into a single list.’
- ‘I think it would also be very useful to incorporate a way to search based on hyper- and hyponyms (more and less generic versions of words).’
- ‘More importantly, elf schot is clearly a hyponym of maladye - that is, its meaning must fall within the semantic range of maladye - so cannot denote a projectile.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips