iThe imaginary quantity equal to the square root of minus one.Compare with j
1The ninth letter of the alphabet.‘The letter i is made up of a single minim, with or without a dot above it.’
- ‘However, because of the Latin contributions to English, the letter "i" does not always comply.’
- 1.1Denoting the next after H in a set of items, categories, etc.
2The Roman numeral for one.
- ‘Only assets included in Section I that are pledged should be reported here.’
pronounfirst person singular
Used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself.‘accept me for what I am’
- ‘If this was for real it would go down as the strangest mobile phone design that I have ever seen.’
- ‘Anyway, here is the list of movies I watched.’
the I(in metaphysics) the subject or object of self-consciousness; the ego.ego, I, oneself, persona, person, identity, character, personality, psyche, soul, spirit, mind, intellect, inner man, inner person, inner woman, inner self, one's innermost feelings, one's heart of hearts
Old English, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch ik and German ich, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin ego and Greek egō.
2(preceding a highway number) Interstate.
3I.Island(s) or Isle(s) (chiefly on maps).
- ‘V = I/R’
2The chemical element iodine.